Thursday, July 2, 2009

Benches to remember. . .

On Memorial Day, I visited our Veterans Cemetary, not far from my home. As I walked up and down the rows and read the names of those who served our country (since before Vancouver became a city officially to the present,) I felt a love of my country and these people who served it so bravely and are remembered at least once a year by flags being posted near each grave site.

Next door to the VA cemetary is yet another cemetary, separated by a fence. I had seen it before but never gone to investigate. I spotted a bench alongside the fence and this is the photo I took of it which did not do it justice so I vowed to go back and find it someday and get a proper photo of it.

I did that this week after I got the news of my friend, Glenn's death. Somehow, it felt like a comforting place to go. I had to walk several blocks from the VA cemetary to get to the entrance to this Catholic cemetary. In my sorrow, I was rewarded with bench after bench to photograph! Ü Who doesn't believe that "when God closes one door, He opens another?"

This is what greeted me at the entrance gate of the cemetary. . . LOTS of places to sit!


This bench is dedicated to Mother Joseph, a pioneer in our city. You can read more about her here: Mother Joseph Her grave is close by among others from her Order who died back then also.

This memory one and the one below are the same bench taken from opposite sides.


This bench in a gazebo and the one below are the same also. Lots of room to sit and ponder awhile. . .


Two more views of another memory bench for nuns who died.


I liked the Bible verse on the backrest of this bench-- two views of it also. . .


This bench (two views) actually has a place to sit and rest awhile but someone put a potted plant on the seat! The inscription says to sit for awhile. . .


OK, we have finally arrived at my destination -- this and the following picture are the bench I saw from the VA cemetary through the fence. It was worth another trip and I got the added bonus of several benches at the same time!

I hope you enjoyed my little tour of a variety of benches all in one area, a place now called Mother Joseph Cemetary as of a year ago.

8 comments:

Malyss said...

I never saw that in France; Benches for memory are not usual for me, but I like the idea very much. It allows you to take time to think of the lost ones.
Through the bench, the memory keeps living a little longer; You've made a beautyful series, very moving and interesting.

Dina said...

What a bonanza for a bench lover. So glad God led you to the place, and at the right time.
There are many new (to me) ideas in this nice cemetery. I like!

Barbara Martin said...

This was a good post on benches in cemeteries. I agree with Malyss that it is a good place for reflection.

Rune Eide said...

I must say that you do it properly when you do it!! I would have like to try them all, and investigate them with my camera - it would have taken all day. And I have never seen so many dedicated benches!!

Rune Eide said...

Thank you for the comments! I must admit that the glass did not contain tea, but beer :-)

Regarding the mannequins: I was in the right mode to see a possible subject. I took three pictures. The contrasts in the subject were enormous, so I used the flash as a fill-in.

Tom said...

This is a great idea, we are seeing it more over here now... love all these pictures.
Tom

Phoenix C. said...

What a beautiful idea and a peaceful place. Very moving.

Kerri Farley said...

Oh, I LOVE these Paulie!