Thursday, August 20, 2009

My very own bench I bought at Farmers Market this summer

I live in a tiny apartment on the 8th floor. I don't really have room for a bench inside my apartment but I wanted one so I bought the smallest one at the Farmers Market. A local man from Ridgefield made it and he put a metal plate with his name on the bottom of it. It is beautifully handcafted and I have shown many of his benches on this blog before but not this one because I was saving it for some day special. Today is that day! My bench "revealing" makes the day special!
I usually have it by the window so I can sit and watch the sunset at night and sunrise in the morning. Sometimes, I put it in front of my big wooden desk. I did not have room to photograph it in my apartment so I took some scatter rugs and placed it in the hall and did it there. I took many angles of it. I hope you like it as much as I do. He told me to use lemon oil on it to keep it nice.
I laid it on its side so you could see the bottom of it and how it is constructed with screws that lets it fold down if I wanted to store it for the winter if used as a patio bench or front porch bench.
This is a side view and the lighter wood underneath is not so obvious to the naked eye. This bench has three shades of the wood.

Trying very hard to show you my bench and not the ugly hall carpet. It is only 34 inches long and 14 inches wide. It is as tall as a normal bench.


12 comments:

Tom said...

That looks a nice bench... and the slats are thick... with care this should last a life time.

Malyss said...

How lovely! You made a good choice; It has a prettty color, and I'm sure it will become a precious companion in your every day life!

Dina said...

We can tell how much you love your new bench.
It really is lovely and a lot of thought and work went into it.
Enjoy it, and for many years to come.
The blessing we say in Hebrew to the person who gets a new thing: "Titchadshi!" = ~ May you be renewed [by your new whatever].

Rune Eide said...

That bench must weigh a ton!! Solidly built and on of its kind - no wonder you are proud of it . Sop would I have been - take good care of it!

Raph G. Neckmann said...

What a wonderful bench, PERBS! It looks beautifully crafted and I love the different shades of wood. And how great that it fits in your apartment, to watch the sunrise and setting. Thanks for sharing your special day!

cieldequimper said...

Very, very nice. Gorgeous golden colour.
Just one question: where did you take the header photo?

EG CameraGirl said...

It's a lovely bench! The colour of the wood is rich and warm. It looks like it was made with care.

E said...

Way cool! Looks like careful craftsmanship! Have you taken photos while sitting on the bench?

Gallow said...

I like the wood work. It's a nice one.

I have my bench of the week up as well:

http://sg-photo.blogspot.com/2009/08/bench-of-week-5.html

Gerald (SK14) said...

Hi PERBS - you wrote on my Ackworth blog - "You left your comment on my bench the following day from Friday's
challenge. . . I always put it up on Thursday evening sicne it is
already Friday in Norway. . . This week, I showed my personal home made
bench I recently purchased and you missed it by leaving your comment on
the next days bench. Maybe you will return?"

Well I did see this post but chose not to comment on this but commented on the other because that inspired a comment. I visit hundreds of blogs a day and can only comment on fraction of the ones I visit. Rune's Friday meme is meant to be very informal and there's no compunction to visit or comment on the ones specifically posted on Friday - I'm linking to the best bench posts I find each week and am especially likely to link to benches that are posted naturally and not just because of the "meme" - so I'll probably link to one of your benches maybe most weeks but not every week. BTW I read all the comments made on my blog but don't usually have time to respond individually to comments. Cheers Gerald.

Kerri Farley said...

I LOVE your bench!

becky aka theRAV said...

Pretty bench, Paulie.